Although most schools have started by now, it’s not too late for you to get in on the new school year trends. In fact, most retail stores are just now replenishing stock of the new must-haves. Since trends go in and out with each season, don’t spend tons of money for something your child won’t like in another two months. Here are our picks for the top 5 back-to-school trends that won’t break the bank (each piece is less than $45)!
1. Preppy is in, and both boys and girls will be wearing plaid head to toe this school year.
Girls’ Belted Plaid Dress, $18.99, at crazy8.com
Boys’ Shaun White Woven Plaid Shirt, $12.99, at target.com
2. Animal print is the newest trend for girls. This trend is worn best in a cardigan or accessory like a scarf or hat. Boys will be seen wearing graphic tees featuring skateboarders, surfers and guitars.
Girls’ Cherokee Bonjour Brown Cardigan, $12.99, at target.com
Boys’ Mossimo Supply Co. Graphic Tee, $7.99, at target.com
3. This school year is all about boots. For boys, try a modern bootie that can be dressed up or down and a classic knee-high boot with fringe for girls.
Girls’ Fringed Boots, $26.50, at oldnavy.com
Boys’ Suede Boots, $34.99, at gap.com
4. Go for clothes in bright, bold colors like greens, blues, reds and pinks.
Girls’ Belted Stripe Sweater Dress, $28.75, at crazy8.com
Boys’ Cherokee Ultimate Jersey Polo, $7.99, at target.com
5. A nod to our U.S. troops, kids will be seen wearing camo prints and military style jackets.
Sugarfly Military Wool Coat, $42.90, at nordstrom.com
Boys’ Camo Print Thermal, $16.50, at gap.com