Q. I hate swimsuit season. I’m invited to a few pool and beach parties this summer but I absolutely loathe putting on a swimsuit for various reasons (cellulite, some unwanted pounds, etc.) What can I wear to a pool party besides a swimsuit that won’t look out of place?
A.I can definitely sympathize since I’ve never been 100% comfortable wearing a swimsuit either. However, it’s important to remind yourself that no one has the perfect body! We all wish we could be slimmer, taller, tanner, more toned, etc. It took me a while to realize that I’m my worst critic and that no one is judging me for the way I look in a swimsuit. By avoiding wearing a swimsuit, you could be missing out on a lot of fun!
The bottom line? Confidence is sexy. So if you feel good about yourself and try to push your insecurities aside, I promise you, no one will notice the few extra pounds you may have gained over the past year. That being said, there are a few things you can do to feel more confident and look your best in a swimsuit:
- Find the swimsuit that flatters your figure. Forget about trends, swimsuits are all about fit, so it’s important to find the right swimsuit for your figure. And don’t be discouraged if you need to try on 50 swimsuits before finding the one that works best for you, it’s worth it!
- Look for slimming swimsuits. Hidden tummy panels and strategically placed details can work wonders for your figure – and your confidence. Here are some chic and slimming swimsuits worth trying.
- Try self tanner. A little color is a great way to help camouflage cellulite, spider veins or anything else that might add to your insecurities. Here are the best self-tanners to try this summer.
- Wear a wedge. Heels are not a great look at the beach or the pool, but a summery wedge espadrille is the perfect way to lengthen and visually slim your legs.
- Wear a gorgeous cover-up. Who says you have to wear a swimsuit the whole day? Save the suit for the water and wear a chic cover-up when you’re on dry land. Skip the t-shirt and shorts and opt for a glamourous caftan, dress or tunic instead.
- Stand up straight. Just like your mother told you, it helps to have good posture. You’ll look taller and more slim in seconds!