Q. I’m 70 years old, I have long legs and love to wear skinny jeans or pants and love boots. I also have heavy fabric leggings and slim pants. I work at a ladies boutique and like to keep up with the latest trends, but I don’t purchase too many trends, mostly classic items. Is there an age where we can not keep up with fashion?
A. Great question! The short answer is, you’re never too old to keep up with the latest fashion trends. That being said, not all trends are created equal – and not all trends work for every woman, depending on age or even body type. It’s important to view the newest trends with a discriminating eye and choose pieces that work for you, without worrying what everyone else is wearing.
For most women, we typically recommend wearing just one or two “trendy” items at a time and balancing out the rest of your wardrobe with classic or timeless pieces. By cultivating a mostly classic wardrobe, you’ll avoid being a slave to fashion and will find that you always have something to wear, regardless of the occasion. Mixing up classic pieces with newer trendy items is a smart – and chic – way for women of any age to dress.
If you love skinny jeans and leggings, wear them! These certainly have a place in a sophisticated wardrobe and look fabulous with riding boots or luxe ballet flats paired with a chunky sweater or longer length blazer. Some more fall trends that are great for women of any age:
1. Leather jackets: Look for sleek, unfussy shapes to wear with pants, jeans and dresses
2. Camel and red hues: Two of this season’s hottest colors also happen to be classics that work for women of any age. Invest in a camel or red coat to make any fall outfit look chic.
3. Animal prints: A well placed accessory like a leopard print bag or ballet flat is a luxe and sophisticated look. A pretty animal print blouse also has a place in a sophisticated wardrobe when worn with a pencil skirt or under a blazer.
4. Military chic: Think you can’t wear this season’s military trend? Think again! A belted military-inspired jacket or blazer works for women of any age.
5. Faux fur: A faux fur scarf, vest or fur trimmed sweater is worth investing in.
6. Menswear-inspired trousers: This season’s must-have pant would make Katharine Hepburn proud. Wear these now and forever.
7. Boots: Riding boots, knee-high boots and ankle booties are a must for women of any age. Whether flat boots or 4-inchers, choose a heel height that works for you.
8. Statement jewelry: Invest in rich-looking statement jewelry to wear day or night.