Q. I have several sweaters that I’d like to wear for fall – many of which are the chunky styles that are so popular for fall right now. I’d like to create a stylish outfit with these, but am unsure of what would look right for the season.
A. Designers and fashion magazines are once again declaring that chunky sweaters are a hot fall trend. This is great news for those who live in cool climates. The big question is, how to create a flattering silhouette with a chunky knit?
The best way to wear a thick or oversized sweater is to balance it with a slim-fitting bottom such as fitted jeans or cords. A sweater that is longer in length looks great with skinny jeans, leggings or even opaque tights if long enough. Layer thin t-shirts, turtlenecks or feminine blouses underneath to avoid bulking up.
Here are some ideas for layering your knits. Take note of the slim bottoms paired with all:
1. Free People ‘Gypsy Mélange’ Marled Cardigan, $128 at nordstrom.com
2. Michael Kors Cable Knit Sweater Coat, $59.50 at nordstrom.com
3. Juicy Couture Popcorn Knit Cardigan, $288 at nordstrom.com
4. Free People ‘Heather Fuzz Shaker’ Hooded Sweater, $78.91 at nordstrom.com
5. Rebecca Taylor ‘Runway’ Fringed Pullover Sweater, $380 at nordstrom.com
6. BDG Intarsia Shawl Collar Cardigan, $78 at urbanoutfitters.com