Q. I am a 34D and love to wear sexy summer tops but I cannot go without a bra. Very few stores offer tops with built-in underwire bras. Do you have any suggestions?
A. Unfortunately, a large bust does limit your options when it comes to bare summer tops. This doesn’t mean you don’t have options, however. Here are some tips:
1. Layer a tank or camisole underneath tops that would otherwise show too much cleavage. Try the Hanro Perfectly Nude Microfiber Underwire Camisole.
2. Try some of the bra alternatives available for D-cups that give you the freedom to wear tops that would otherwise show your bra while still offering some support: Pure Style Girlfriends: Gather-the-Girls Adhesive Strapless Bra, Sassybax Very Bare Bra and Fashion Forms Adhesive Body Bra.
You are correct that built-in underwires are very difficult to find, however, several companies like Victoria’s Secret and Soft Surroundings do offer tops with built in bras, some of them underwire. You may have to forego the full support of an underwire, though, for the medium support of a shelf bra or soft cup built into tops. Here are some suggestions:
1. Akana Strapless Tunic, $39.99 at whitehouseblackmarket.com
2. Twist-front halter Bra Top, $28 at victoriassecret.com (several colors available)
3. Pleated Bra Top, $88 at victoriassecret.com (several colors available)
4. Sparkle Underwire Halter, $39.99 at softsurroundings.com
5. Underwire Necklace Halter, $78 at softsurroundings.com (several colors available)