Q. I really liked this velvet swing jacket I found on sale at alloy.com and the price was so great I clicked! After the fact, I wondered how I’m going to pull this look off considering I’m only 5’2" tall. Another factor is age. The jacket is obviously "youthful" which I do like, but I’m in my 40s, so I want to keep the look age appropriate.
A. Give it a sophisticated kick by pairing it with a pencil skirt and opaque tights that perhaps have a slight pattern. Or pair with high-waisted or mid-rise trouser jeans and a soft, thin turtleneck sweater. For cooler days, wear a button down shirt with a v-neck sweater layered over it and add a narrow scarf that wraps around your neck several times. Since it’s velvet, you can dress it up with a beaded top and dress pants and finish it with dressy brocade heels. See, there are plenty of options for a 40ish gal to pull off this major sale item, now just go raid your closet or pull out your credit card and select a few of my picks:
1. Add a skinny belt across the waist and wear with a pencil skirt or trousers. Aqua Sweater with Bow Blouse, $78 at bloomingdales.com
2. Go preppy. Cashmere mini-argyle cardigan, $178 at jcrew.com
3. Dressy and hip when worn with the jacket. Yoana Baraschi Jewel Silk Top, $278 at nordstrom.com
4. Paired with the velvet jacket you get a color injection. Gibson Ruffled Washed Silk Blouse, $78 at nordstrom.com
5. Wear with a boot or pump that has a heel. Fire ‘Hillary’ Wide Leg Pants, $42 at nordstrom.com