Q. I’m in the process of losing about 50 pounds. I’ve lost about 10 pounds already and my clothes are starting to get loose. I know I’ll need new clothes soon, but what should I buy? I don’t want to spend too much and would like options that can last me a little while. Yet I’d still like to look stylish while losing. I’m a mom (SAHM) in my mid-30s. Help!
A. Congratulations on the weight loss and your ongoing commitment! Buying clothes while in the process of losing a significant amount of weight can be a challenge. Luckily, as a stay at home mom, you can get away with a pared down casual wardrobe.
Since you don’t want to invest a lot of money in clothes that may not fit you for very long, your strategy is to choose simple pieces that mix and match so you can get a lot of wearings out of each piece. In other words, you want to be able to get a lot of looks out of just a few basic pieces.
Some things to look for:
- Tunic tops – these can be very forgiving and will continue to fit fairly well as you lose weight
- Leggings – when worn with casual dresses and tunic length tops, leggings can look more flattering than you think
- Jersey dresses and tops
- Drapey cardigans and belted sweaters
- Belts – invest in a few belts that can be used to cinch tops and dresses as you lose weight
- Inexpensive pants with built in stretch – pants tend to be the least forgiving as you lose weight, so you don’t want to spend a lot of money on items you may quickly grow out of. Opt for slim-fitting styles that won’t look as saggy as you lose weight.
Shop for sizes that fit perfectly now, or perhaps even just barely snug, to ensure that they’ll fit as long as possible.