It doesn’t matter whether you were up late dancing or working: Whatever the cause, a sleepness night can wreak havoc on your skin. But don’t assume the only solution is to crawl back into bed…follow these tips to looking radiant and refreshed in no time.
1. Scrub exhaustion away: While you sleep, skin goes through a “renew and repair” cycle that includes the natural exfoliation of dead skin cells. Lack of sleep means means lack of time to repair… and can leave skin looking dull. A good scrub in the shower can replicate this process quickly, leaving skin more radiant and healthy. *Bonus- Rinse with cold water to stimulate circulation and firm skin quickly.
2. Moisturize: Losing sleep can mean more than yawns and puffy eyes: it also causes dehydrated skin. A good dose of moisturizer will restore balance and give skin a younger, more supple appearance. *Bonus- Choose a moisturizer with a hint of gradual tanner to counteract sallowness and give skin a natural glow.
3. Less is more foundation: When skin looks dull, our first instinct is to PILE on makeup to conceal the problem. The answer is actually less rather than more. A sheer, creamy formula with light reflecting particles will even out skin tone and diffuse imperfections. Apply with fingers rather than a brush or sponge, so that it melts into skin. *Bonus- Only powder the chin and forehead, leaving the bridge of nose and cheeks dewy.
4. Pay special attention to eyelids: The single most tell-tale sign of a
late night? Puffy, red eyes. Pay special attention to this area. Use a
creamy concealer to mask dark circles, and don’t forget to blend onto
top lid to conceal redness or darkness. *Bonus- a few drops of redness
relief drops to whiten eye, and line inner rim with a peachy-flesh toned
pencil for a wide-eyed look.
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, Lancome Effacernes Waterproof Concealer
5. Curl lashes for a wide-awake look: This is tried and true advice, yet is usually the most overlooked step. Believe in the power of a lash curler! For added life, use a heated curler, or heat the curler with a blast from the blowdryer to set curl, taking care to test first on back of hand to avoid burns. *Bonus: coat lashes with a navy mascara instead of black; the blue will make eyes appear whiter by comparison.
6. Lastly, a pop of cheek color to brighten the face and draw focus: Tired skin has a sallow, drained appearance; add back some life with a pop of healthy color right on apples of cheeks. *Bonus- Sheer formulas in hues of candy apple red or plum give skin a transparent, natural flush, like you just pinched your cheeks.