For some fortunate fashionistas, spring has definitely set in recently…like us. So getting a healthy dose of Vitamin D and sun-kissed skin (protected with the appropriate SPF, of course) is well within reach. For others still stuck shoveling snow, that idea is well…not so within reach.
Hallelujah for at-home self tanners! Tanning towelettes, gels, milks and creams run the gamut from A++ to just plain bad, bad, bad. You don’t have enough skin to test them all, so we did the (tanned) leg work for you. We read review after review, website and website, blog after blog, and tested some of these ourselves. We realized that the cheaper the product, the more reviewers complained about that infamous smell, and the pricier the product, the less it was a problem. After all our self-tanning research, we narrowed it down to what appears to be the best (or at least most liked) splurge-worthy varieties and must-have drugstore steals.
1. Shiseido ‘Daily Bronze’ Moisturizing Emulsion, $36, Nordstrom.com
2. ModelCo Self-Tanning Glove, $36, Amazon.com
3. Clarins Self-Tanning Instant Gel, $44, Saks.com
4. Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion, $6.99, Drugstore.com
5. Bain de Soleil Mega Tan Sunscreen with Self Tanner, SPF 4, $9.99, Drugstore.com
6.L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes for Body, $9.99, Drugstore.com
More top sunless tanners: