Split ends are inevitable for most of us – we all use heat styling, skip the conditioner, or miss our hair appointments sometimes. But there are ways to prevent split ends from becoming worse. Here are some tips to help eliminate breakage for smoother, healthier hair:
- Use a nourishing conditioner, like Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner ($26.99 for a 33.8 oz bottle at drugstore.com), every time you shampoo. Apply them most product to your ends, and make sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Post-shower, use a comb like the Ouidad Double Detangler Comb ($24 at Sephora) to de-tangle wet hair. Since hair is more prone to damage when it’s wet, be gentle! Start at the ends and slowly work your way up.
- Use a heat protecting product like Suave Professionals Sleek Heat Protection Spray ($7.99 at Amazon.com) prior to blow drying, straightening, or curling hair.
- Get a cut as close to every six weeks as possible. Once split ends happen the only way to cure them is to cut them off! If you leave them, they will only split further up the shaft.
- Finally, don’t pick at your split ends. As tempting as it may be, you’re just causing more damage.