with Alison Deyette as seen on NBC Today, October 29, 2006
Much more than just a cover up to protect you from the elements, a great-looking coat
can make or break your look. We show you our favorites of the season
for every budget and give tips on finding the most flattering fit for your figure.
Loden Wool Shrunken Peacoat with Removable Faux Fur Collar from Liz Claiborne, $229
Liz Claiborne Wool herringbone cropped cuffed pants, $105
Liz Claiborne Shoes 'Canyon' Flat slouch allover suede boot, $240 at Macys
Banana Republic brown leather gloves $68
- The classic peacoat gets a sophisticated update with a removable faux fur collar perfect for dressing up or down
- Paired with menswear-inspired cropped pants and suede boots, this look has a chic equestrian feel to it
- Whether it’s knee high boots, mid-calf or ankle boots, these are a definite must-have this season.
- Leather gloves complete the look
- Figure Flattery: We tried this coat on women of all shapes and it really flatters most figures. Great for balancing out a pear shape. Also perfect for concealing a tummy. The coat is shaped with a belt in the back so it’s shapely, not boxy.
*coat is available in stores December 1st and online at lizclaiborne.com
Lands’ End Pink quilted Weatherfield Jacket, $69.50
Lands’ End Orange Half Zip Anti-Static Pullover, $19.50
Lands’ End Thermaskin Moc Neck, $29.50
Lands’ End Weatherfield Boot, $49.50
Lands’ End Green Cashmere knit scarf $99.50, gloves $34.50 and hat $34.50
Lands’ End Stretch Boot Cut Jeans, $59.50
- This sporty look layers several pieces together to create a cozy outfit that stylishly weathers the elements
- A warm fleece is layered over a Thermaskin top and then topped with a lightweight, yet toasty, quilted jacket
- The jacket has Primaloft insulation to maintain warmth without the bulk, even when wet
- The nylon shell has DriOff finish that resists rain, sleet and snow. Available in nine colors.
- Her quilted boots come in many colors and are insulated and water-repellant
- Figure Flattery: Unlike most quilted or puffy jackets, these lightweight layers won’t add bulk but still keep you warm. Slimming, diamond quilted design has princess seams for a sleek look. Available in petite and plus sizes as well, so it’s a flattering option for many women.
Red/Orange Wool Plaid Coat, available at TJ Maxx, $179.99
Brown dress, available at TJ Maxx $24.99
Stuart Weitzman Brown Suede Platform pumps, available at footnotesonline.com $250
Echo gold scarf $32
- Plaids are a hot trend this season
- This pretty wool coat easily transitions from office to dinner to weekends and looks great topping everything from a dress to jeans
- A shimmering gold scarf adds a touch of glamour
- TIP: the hem of your dress or skirt should be equal to or slightly shorter than the length of your coat
- Figure Flattery: curvy women are often afraid of prints, but with the right cut it’s a “do”. A single breasted longer length coat is the perfect choice to create a lean silhouette (rather than a short boxy coat or double breasted style which can visually broaden your silhouette). The lean styling can be worn open or shut for a flattering look.
Candie’s Faux Shearling Bomber, available at Kohl's, $120
Brown cashmere cable turtleneck
J Lo plaid button down
Candie’s cropped jeans with faux fur trim, available at Kohl's, $48
Ecco Derby Riders brown riding boots, $180
Hat Attack Braided Ski Bunny headband, $28 at girlshop.com
- Fun and casual, this layered look is perfect for weekends
- Faux shearling and a faux fur trimmed hood updates a classic bomber cut
- This season we’re seeing a lot of fur and faux fur trim on coats and accessories
- Her cropped jeans have faux fur trim, giving her riding boots a wintry touch
- Figure Flattery: This look is a great choice for slender or petite women. If you’re pear shaped or a bit wider on the bottom, it’s best to avoid this look. For petite or long waisted women, a cropped jacket is a great way to make legs look longer.
Mackage 'Karina' Asymmetrical black wool chevron textured belted coat, available at girlshop.com, $700
Stuart Weitzman black knee high boots, $410 at footnotesonline.com
- Part gamine and part grande-dame, this dramatic coat is made of a virgin wool and boasts a striking funnel collar and luxurious leather belt.
- An off-center zip front skims the figure and adds interest
- In all aspects of fashion, this season is all about the waist, and coats are no exception. Whether you opt for a tie waist or an actual belt as shown here, this is one of the season’s freshest and most flattering styles.
- A braided belt cinches the waist gorgeously
- play with proportions, a long sweeping coat looks great with lean pieces like skinny jeans
- Figure Flattery: ideal for flaunting a thin waist or creating one when needed. Unlike most single or double breasted coats, a belt or tie creates a slim, feminine hourglass silhouette.
for more of this season's hottest coats, click here